How Sex, Politics, Money and Religion are Killing Planet Earth

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Healing and Hope – Coming Home Again


In the 1960s and 70s of my early childhood, divorce was rare. I was the only child in kindergarten who came from a “broken” home. The burning question always asked of me: “Where is your father?” was at first met with honesty. My parents are divorced. And later avoidance, as I realized such a distinction marked me among my peers as different.

For all the psychiatric warnings of the emotional damages done to children in my situation, I was a happy child. At the time, there were few injunctions against the scourge of deadbeat dads, and Mom, exhausted from the rigors of raising three children on a teacher’s salary, adopted a laissez-fair attitude to child rearing. The result was practically unlimited freedom, with our only restriction being that we returned home every evening as the sun went down for a family dinner. The fare was simple, Mrs. Paul’s fish sticks, Ragu on pasta and macaroni and cheese. Mom wasn’t much of a cook, but she was adamant about family dinners. I suppose it was the only parenting she could muster up the excess energy for.

School provided the only structure in an otherwise rambling childhood and that ended every day at three pm. When the bell rang, the shoes came off and I was set free. Other neighborhood kids were chauffeured to school and back by car, and then were expected to finish their homework before they went outside to play. They filtered in and out of my life between firm boundaries of parenting I never knew.

In the absence of little competing organization, the earth provided my rules and insight. I knew every secret humid space the South Florida landscape had to yield. The old ficus tree down the block in Cindy Keith’s yard often had pigeons’ nests that invariably held two small, white eggs. The orange tree in the yard of the house on 28th Street had fruit that was bitter, while the tree at the house on the corner had fruit that was delicious and sweet. The trees had to be harvested stealthily, as the inhabitants of both homes were not fans of barefooted, scraggly haired, dirty kids in their yards. The man with pet monkeys in his yard seemed very nice, but he turned out to be a pedophile.

I learned life’s lessons from the world. Nobody told me that trees could not be friends and that cool grass is not a substitute for a warm hug. My family included the whole outside world, and I grew to love each character in it intimately. A gigantic fig tree lived in the backyard of a Miami duplex my family rented when I was six years old. We were dirt poor and the neighborhood was a bit rough. A block over from our house lived a family that had recently moved from Brooklyn. The youngest daughter, Debbie, was younger, smaller, scrappier and a much better fighter than I was. Debbie was a wicked puller of hair. Fortunately, my tree climbing skills were superior. I suppose that spending her formative years in a concrete jungle had restricted Debbie’s familiarity with the fine art, so whenever Debbie was looking for a brawl, I would seek refuge with my tall friend in the backyard. I would climb high up into the canopy and secure myself in the fork of a branch, where I couldn’t be dislodged by the swaying of the wind. Sometimes I would have to wait it out for hours, while Debbie took out her frustration, providing me with an education in four letter words, as she beat the tree’s trunk with a two by four or other weapon of choice.
Me at age 7

My time in the tree was not spent in fear. Once I reached the canopy top, I knew I was safe, and when my head peaked out just above the foliage, I had a vantage point across the flat plain of South Florida as far as the eye could see. From the treetop, I would fantasize about my future life in exotic places far away from the slums of South Florida.

In the 11th grade, we read The Scarlet Letter in Honors English class. My teacher was a tight-laced, pinch-faced matron who never fostered or expressed any affection towards me. As we read Hawthorne’s depiction of the bastard child Pearl, Mrs. B. commented that the child reminded her of me. At the time, I took her remark as a compliment. I felt an affinity with the character, as my own life mirrored Pearl’s rambling and unencumbered wild existence. It was only later in life that I realized my teacher  had probably meant to insult me, child of a broken home, peculiar and forever marked with shame by a divorcee mom who let her children run wild.

Yet in spite of societal scorn regarding my lack of boundaries, I never lost my desire to find solace and familiars in the company of the natural world. When I first moved to Providenciales in the Turks and Caicos Islands over 20 years ago, the entire western portion of the island was completely undeveloped. I would often take the “Best Dog in the Whole Wide World,” Chad, out to the island’s Northwest Point and walk along the perfect shoreline. Meandering in and out of the shrublands and woodlands for hours I delighted in the friendly blue gray gnatcatchers, scolding me for disturbing them.  Assimilated into the place, I revitalized my body and spirit with an elixir of salt-drenched and sunbaked earth.
The edge of the world at Northwest Point

As a developing country with few natural resources, the TCI have only their white sand beaches and warm turquoise waters to sell. Inevitably, one day the bulldozers came and pushed a road through Northwest Point. A jarring rumble of steel scraping rock drowned out the whistling wind and the twittering of feathered inhabitants. In the wake of the machines, broken sentinels lay ruined and slaughtered. When I discovered the ruins, I sat down in the rubble and wept, my soul as crushed as the bleeding branches beneath my feet.
Bulldozer at Northwest Point
In his 2011 book Dreams, Derrick Jensen examines the common cultural myth of individualism, the idea that each of us is an entity separate from all others and discrete unto ourselves. We are not. Everything we are comes from the world around us. The molecules of oxygen passing in and out of our bodies are constructed in the tissues of plants, and the carbon dioxide that is the elixir of their existence is manufactured in ours. The water that provides the solvent for all our life processes is eternal, each molecule having inhabited millions of other living beings since time immemorial. Our fates are inextricably wound up with all the other life forms and non-life forms on Earth. When we live in a place, exchange air with the floral beings of that place, share water with the ecosystem and subsist on the plants and animals that call that place home, we are literally of that place. We become a living manifestation of all that it is. Western culture encourages us to ignore this connectedness and programs us from our earliest existence to feel separate, superior, entitled. For those like myself with a feral upbringing, however, the western programming never took hold, and the truth of connection reverberates as obviously as a blue sky and wind in the leaves. Each cut of a bulldozer blade feels like biting amputations of pieces of the soul.

Shortly after my crying session, I was enjoying spaghetti dinner with friends. As I conveyed the carnage at Northwest Point to my family doctor, the onslaught of tears began again, dripping off my chin and onto the garlic bread on my plate. “I think you are depressed,” he observed. Of course I am depressed. “No, I mean clinically depressed. It’s normal to be dismayed by environmental issues, but your anguish is beyond normal, it’s pathological. I mean after all Kathleen, it’s just a road.”

The doctor suggested that I take an antidepressant. “Just try some Prozac for a couple of weeks. I promise it will make you feel better and give you some perspective.” I took his advice, and he was right. A few weeks into my medication regimen, the Earth’s destruction became a mild annoyance, rather than an all-consuming grief.  The sharp edges of my intense emotions were blunted. As the World Trade Center crumbled to the ground, I watched with abstracted interest. The pain was gone, but eventually, I started to miss my emotional self and my arboreal family, so I gave up the Prozac. If crying over trees is pathological, I would rather be crazy than sane.  

Nevertheless, the development boom on Providenciales turned out to be more than I could handle, every development eating away at my green family and my psyche like ecological leprosy. I had to leave and then spent ten years recovering in the Southern Appalachian Mountains. The change of geography was apt. Leaving a place that was succumbing to Western-style development, I entered one that was recovering from it. The ancient mountains, once relentlessly harvested for timber, are once again lush in dense secondary growth. They are not the same as they were before, but they are alive and thriving in a new reality. Nature heals herself and rambles on into new possibilities.
Mangroves at East Bay Cay
In Dreams, Jensen also talks about Earth’s six great extinctions. At five other times in the history of the world, life has been brought to its knees and then rebounded with greater magnificence and diversity than ever before. During this current, sixth great extinction, one species, Homo sapiens sapiens, is single-handedly wiping out life as it currently exists on the planet in a massacre that rivals any of the previous great extinctions. Great despair, not apathy, for all that is lost should be the natural reaction. It should be normal to be mortified and depressed about the state of the natural world. The fact that the realities of human existence require mind-dulling medications just in order to cope is telling. We seal ourselves up in artificial structures or chemical straightjackets to keep from connecting with the wider family we are systematically destroying. The concept of a nuclear family, a man, woman and two-point-two children implies an enclosed nucleus, sealed up together against the elements of the outside world, but there is no “outside” world.  My family had no core, no boundaries, no restrictions, yet the vast infinite space was not empty but rather full of related, living souls. The physical house was a stopping off point, a place to refill and rest before scattering back out into the world, the home I discovered when my first home was broken.
Pelicans at French Cay

In Dreams, Jensen reflects, “If we don’t have hope that creation will respond, then we have no reason to continue.” When I left the TCI ten years ago, this was the depth of my despair, but the mountains have healed my wounded psyche and given me hope, hope that nature will respond and that humans as a part of nature can evolve from the brink of their own destruction and resurrect the dying world.

Armed with this hope, I return to my natural home to the Turks and Caicos. I have been gifted an amazing opportunity to work as the Director of the Department of Environment and Maritime Affairs. I start work tomorrow. The scars of development have not yet completely hobbled the natural tenacity of these wild islands. Within all that remains are the seeds of resurrection. I hope.
Noddy tern with juvenile

18 comments:

  1. Welcome Back Kathleen! We are so happy to have you down the road again. (although I am in the Virginia Mountains as I type this, I'll be back in a few weeks). Looking forward to having you in our "neck of the woods"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krys! I will look forward to seeing you when you get back neighbor.

      Delete
  2. Haha, the picture of you at seven reminds me of Pippi Longstocking my childhood heroine.

    Your journey is so interesting. I can't stand living in the western farm country of New Jersey, where I have been for 30 years, for the same reason you left T&C. I know it too well, and the difference in vitality of the forests from when I moved there to the remnants that remain I feel too acutely.

    I just came back from a trip to WVa and KY, and even though I could see how deteriorated those trees are as well, it was refreshing to be there because I don't have the history and plus, the forests are just so big.

    Congratulations on your new job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, Thank you for your congratulations. I acutely feel your pain. I was fortunate enough to be able to spend some time away and get some perspective. We feel painfully the slow erosion of the vitality of the habitats we love, but what other cause can we champion but trying to save every remnant of their life force that we can? Love and pain are often, unfortunately, inextricably bound together.

      Delete
  3. KM-
    Great post. The first half, regarding your childhood, took me back to my 'feral' up-bringing. While my parents weren't divorced (even less common in the 50's-60's) I was a late life 'accident' and my much older sister and parents were so busy with their pursuits I was an after thought so had perhaps even more freedom. I grew up in a tiny (maybe 700 people) farming town in central California. My escape was a huge eucalyptus tree which grew along a small irrigation ditch at the back edge of a small park a block or so from my house where I hid out with my dog when circumstances, either real or imagined, got the best of me.

    I loved and still do the natural world, but was not inflicted with the 'pathological' zeal/concern you describe so well.

    I live in Colorado since I retired and watch with dismay the 'rusting' of the mountains as the pine beetles, energized by global climate change, destroy our magnificent forests; the destruction of the visible and non-visible by the oil and natural gas industry; and dread the fate of our country/world in the face of the conservative onslaught on everything living and their habitat.

    Please keep up the good work and congratulations on your new job and life?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, I think every child needs a favorite tree and a dog. If we could fulfill those two small requirements, the world would definitely be a better place. Congratulations on your feral childhood. It obviously has contributed to your being a sentient and conscientious being.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your new job. I hope you will be able to post here while taking on your new responsibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DiAnne, I am hoping to keep posting from time to time, but if my first week is any indication of the free time I will have, the posts will probably be few and far between. I am hoping that after I settle into a routine, the chaos will settle.

      Delete
  5. What you have put into a few paragraphs is an excellent precis of what it means to be alive and what it means to be slowly killed.

    That doctor and his attitude ( it’s just a road.) is a big part of the problem. It wasn't just a road. It was the destruction of life. It's the destruction of something creative, living, vibrant, and if it didn't reduce you to agony, there is something terribly wrong with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aggie, My doctor was only acting according to his programming. Sadly, he represents the vast majority of the population that has been raised in the artificial world of humans rather than the real world of the rest of creation. As you note, this is what is wrong with Western culture.

      Delete
  6. This is a very poignant, well-written post, and I can relate to your 'feral' upbringing, as mine was similar.
    I and three siblings grew up on the streets of northeast Baltimore while our alcoholic mother worked evenings as a barmaid at the strip clubs on the then notorious 'Block'; Baltimore's once thriving red-light district.
    She stayed out after hours to party, often not coming home till the wee hours of the mornings, completely oblivious to the fact that her children were often still out running the streets.
    In spite of my urban weening, I grew up with a passion for nature, which, like yourself, has resulted in much personal grief---even despair---over the wanton destruction of our planet.
    Even with my concrete and steel upbringing, I realized early-on that Earth is our true mother that nourishes and sustains us. So-called 'progress' doesn't wave a magic wand and it doesn't sustain itself; it comes at a cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shadowheart, What a story! You are lucky to have survived. It never ceases to amaze me when people tell me stories like yours. It seems that our true human nature is one that, left to its own devices, will seek out a connection to nature, even if it can only be found in the cracks of sidewalks.

      Delete
  7. P.S.: Your unfortunate experience with the wise doctor reminded me of the saying by R.D. Laing ~ "Insanity is an appropriate response to an insane world."
    It's those who can cavalierly look the other way at what we are doing to our true home that need therapy.
    Unfortunately, the Western mind doesn't look at Earth as home---home is the ugly, artificial box they sleep and screw in. Earth is 'out there', separate and apart from our daily experience as we jump back-and-forth from our sleep box to our work box to our beverage box, ad nauseam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the quote. Thank you for sharing it.

      Delete
  8. I didn't mean to imply insanity on your part, but, was obliquely referring to his classifying you as clinically depressed.
    I once saw a bumper sticker that read, "If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." That can equally apply to despair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I discovered your blog when I googled "Humans as cancer". What a nourishing oasis of sanity, wisdom, sensitivity and awareness you've created! I am looking forward to visiting your blog often and reading past posts.

    Thank you for being such a courageous and truly loving voice, so rare. You've brought a moment of peace into my heart -- it's so good to know that another sees the same reality. I relocated to No California from Chicago in order to connect more deeply with nature, but the peace being here has given me is disrupted by the ever-increasing human insanity and destruction. I used to go into nature for solace, now I go into nature with great grief for what's being destroyed. I cry and say "I'm sorry" with profound shame for being human.

    Despite being a very "normal", formerly very social person, I find myself now retreating from human contact -- and NOT from pathology but rather the profound love I feel for all of life and the increasing distance I feel between my perceptions and those of -- well, almost everyone around me (or so it seems). It saddens me.

    Yet now, after finding your blog, I realize I CAN find people who feel the same anguish I do, and I simply have to look in the right places. Killing Mother has been a wonderful start.

    Thank you thank you thank you. You've given me something profound, beyond words. Best of luck in your new endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your essays speak to my soul...Peace...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very well put. Now I understand why I related so well to you when you were 10 and I was several years older. I always thought you were great. Nature was my own best friend too. I wish I had been more capable of being helpful to you at that time. I was genuinely kind, which was the most I could do at the time, coming from a similar background. We survived and that is saying quite a lot, though not so eloquently as you did here. Congratulations on your new job and change in locale.

    ReplyDelete